Visiting Research Fellows


Research at the WTI

The WTI welcomes applications from those wishing to conduct research here. Visiting researchers are allocated a supervisor from among the professors and senior researchers at the WTI.

Interested in applying?

To apply for a position as a visiting research fellow at the WTI, please use our

Online Application Form

The WTI cannot provide you with accommodation but we will gladly provide you with information on relevant housing‐related websites.

You are required to have health insurance throughout your stay in Switzerland (mandated by Swiss law). If your own health insurance will not cover your stay, special plans for temporary residents can be found online.

If you require a visa for the duration of your stay, you should ensure that you can provide evidence of sufficient funding to the Swiss visa/immigration authorities if necessary, as well as a rental agreement. The WTI will confirm your affiliation with the Institute for the duration of your stay.

The WTI requires a payment fee of CHF 500 per month for your office space and access to the IT infrastructure, electronic resources and the library (access to the University’s sport facilities or courses are not included in the price). Payments are due on the first day of each month. For longer stays, a discounted fee applies.

In order to be considered for a Visiting Research Fellow position at the WTI, your English needs to be Professional Working Proficiency. When evaluating your application, the selection committee pays close attention to evidence of your English proficiency. You are required to submit test scores from one of the below:

Test                          Minimum Score  
TOEFL ibT             100 points or above   

TOEFL Paper           600 points or above   

IELTS                        7.0 or above   

Cambridge CAE        A    

Cambridge CPE        C or higher   

The following applicants are exempt from submitting test scores:

  • Native English speakers
  • Applicants with an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from an institution in the USA, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand, where English was the primary language of instruction and the degree was awarded no longer than five years ago.

For information about living and studying in Switzerland, click here.