The World Trade Institute (WTI) is the leading interdisciplinary academic institution dedicated to teaching and research focused on international trade and investment regulation, economic globalisation and sustainability. As a centre of excellence at the University of Bern with an international, interdisciplinary focus, we explore the interconnections between the fields of law, economics and political science.
About the Institute
Who we are
What we do
WTI Annual Report 2021
Sign up for our Quarterly E-Newsletter
WTI Rahmenordnung (in German)
The WTI combines graduate-level education, interdisciplinary research and specialised advisory services in a unique and dynamic institution. We recruit students, researchers, faculty and employees from around the world, creating a diverse culture and stimulating environment.
The WTI closely cooperates with the Institute of European and International Economic Law, which shares the same premises.
Vision, mission and values
- We aim to shape public policy so that international economic governance yields tangible benefits for society
- We strive to be the world's leading academic institution for studies, teaching and research in international trade and investment regulation and economic globalisation and sustainability
- We are a centre of excellence at the University of Bern
- We contribute to a better understanding of the legal, economic and political framework governing globalisation and sustainable development
- We provide cutting-edge research and scholarly outputs on frontier topics
- We attract top graduate students from around the world and give them the knowledge and skills to become tomorrow's leaders in the field of international economic governance
- Openness: We share knowledge and conduct interdisciplinary research with peers worldwide
- Innovation: We generate original ideas and engage in thought leadership
- Equality: We are committed to inclusiveness and non-discrimination
- Sustainability: We aim to ensure institutional memory, continuity and knowledge transfer
The institute was founded upon the conclusion of the Uruguay Round of the GATT and the advent of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 1995. It was established in 1999 to train future practitioners and researchers from all over the world and to strengthen research capacities in areas that have an increasing impact on people's lives. The financial crisis in 2008 showed the importance of not only a stable and open multilateral trading system under the auspices of the WTO but also organisations and agreements promoting regional integration.
Quality assurance and development
Quality assurance and development is important to the World Trade Institute. Our efforts are based on the quality strategy of the University of Bern (Quality Strategy of the University of Bern). With internal course and related reviews and scientific reporting we aim to meet the university guidelines on quality. Selected courses offered by the World Trade Institute in the context of its Master programmes were subject to course evaluation by the faculties of the University of Bern, and have been very positively assessed. Besides quality in research and education, we are also promoting gender equality and sustainability.