23 Nov 2022
Prof. Van den Bossche's week of speaking engagements
An eventful week for Prof. Van den Bossche with speaking opportunities in Milan and seminars by the Harvard European Law Society and the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing
From 21 to 24 November 2022, Peter Van den Bossche, the WTI Director of Studies, teaches at the Department of Law of Bocconi University, Milan, where he gives lectures on WTO law on SPS measures, on dumping and anti-dumping measures, on subsidies and countervailing measures, on safeguard and balance-of-payment measures, on national security measures, and on trade in services. These lectures are part of the master course on International Trade and Investment Law, directed by Prof. Leonardo Borlini.
On 21 November 2022, Van den Bossche participated online in a seminar on MC 12 and WTO Reform, organized by Prof. TU Xinquan, the WTO Chair at the University of International Business and Economics, Beijing. He spoke on the prospects for reform of the WTO dispute settlement system. Other participants in the seminar, which was moderated by Dr. Maarten Smeets, a WTI Fellow, were
- Mr. Xiangchen ZHANG, WTO Deputy Director General,
- Amb. Dacio de Castillo, Permanent Representative of Honduras to the WTO and former Chair of the WTO General Council,
- Amb. Santiago Wills, former Permanent Representative of Colombia to the WTO and now Director of the WTO Council and Trade Negotiations Division,
- Amb. Manuel Teehankee, Permanent Representative of the Philippines to the WTO and former Chair of the WTO Committee on Trade and Environment, and
- Amb. Hung Seng Tan, Permanent Representative of Singapore to the WTO.
On 22 November 2022, Van den Bossche participated in a seminar on Enhanced Scrutiny of Third Country Subsidies, organized by the Harvard European Law Society and moderated by Nieves Bayón Fernández. Van den Bossche gave a lecture on "Foreign Subsidies and WTO Law: Some General Observations on the WTO-Consistency of the Draft EU Foreign Subsidies Regulation".
On 25 November 2022, Van den Bossche will participate in a seminar on The WTO in Crisis: Problems and Solutions at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan, and give a lecture on "The Crisis of WTO Dispute Settlement: The End of a Bold Experiment with the Rule of Law in International Relations?" In the seminar, which is organized by Prof. Ilaria Espa, a WTI Fellow, Prof. em. Giorgio Sacerdoti of Bocconi University will also take part.